The most common type of engine to be seen in the countryside, they were designed to provide the means of driving machinery to carry out tasks such as threshing corn, stone crushing, timber sawing and also general haulage of agricultural and other goods.
The development of the internal combustion engine and the rapid advance in the design of the agricultural tractor meant that these engines were largely made redundant well before the end of their useful working life.
The outbreak of war in 1935 saw engines in some parts of the country brought back into service for the war effort and saved many from the cutting torch of the scrap man.
Aveling & Porter Traction Engine built in 1908
Works No. 6573.
Reg. No. CA 6333
Owned by Billy Carter.
Burrell Single 5hp Single Crank Compound Traction Engine built 1904.
IY36. Owned by the Glynn Brothers, Co Carlow.
Burrell Compound Traction Engine built 1917.
Owned by Ivan Glynn, Rathoe Co. Carlow.
16. Marshall Single Cylinder Traction Engine “Colleen Bawn” Built 1900. Sold new to the Keating family of Spink, Co. Laois. Sold on to the Fleming family of The Swan, Co. Laois. It was one of the first steam engines at the Stradbally Rally, and continued to be rallied there for many years. It was then put on display in the Stradbally Museum for a number of years until changing hands again and went to N. Ireland where it was fully restored. Purchased in 2012 by the Kelly family of Gorey, Co. Wexford.