Some could be operated by one person if they weighed less than 5 tonnes.
They were used for light haulage and were popular with timber hauliers.
26. Burrell Compound Tractor “Lorna Doone" Built 1927. Reg. No. YB 9360. Works No 4062. This engine spent its working life with WJ King Somerset. Purchased by the late Tom Bermingham in1996. Now in the care of the Bermingham family, Rathcoole, Dublin.
27. Ransomes, Simms & Jefferies Compound Traction Engine. Built 1927 4nhp Works No.39070 Reg No. IJ 5347. Built in 1927 and exhibited at the1928 Royal Dublin Spring Show and was for sale at £300. Nothing is known about the engine from then until it was purchased in the 1940’s by William Manley of Baltingglass, Co. Wicklow, who was the last working owner. Purchased 1998 for major restoration by present owners, the Huey family of Larne.
28. Wallis & Stevens 3 Ton Tractor “Patience” built 1905 New to Thomas Moy & Sons, Colchester, England where it was initially used to haul coal before being purchased by a company in Guilford, Surrey who used it in market garden produce haulage. In the mid 1920’s Greggs of Larne shipped the engine to Northern Ireland where it went into use in a quarry near Newtownards. Hallidays of Poyntzpass were using the tractor for sawing timber in the early 1950’s which is where it was last used commercially before being purchased by the late Jack Wallace in 1969 for preservation. Work did not commence until 1997 with completion in 1999 when it first appeared at Ballymena Steam Rally. In 2003 it was shipped to the Great Dorset Steam fair to appear with the 3 other 3 ton Wallis & Steevens Steam Tractors for the 100th Birthday of Doc Ramones Engine, ‘Goliath’. The engine is now owned by Ivor Wallace, Ballymoney.